Chiffon cakes are foam cakes leavened primarily with beaten egg whites. Here’s our take on this recipe and learn the secret to creating a perfectly light and airy chiffon cake, crafted, tested and proven by our very own Pastry Chef, Mabel. Have plenty of fun baking and let us know how this turns out!
55g Egg Yolk
125g Caster Sugar
40g Corn Oil
95g Orange Juice, Fresh
1no. Orange Zest
100g Cake Flour
3g Baking Powder
140g Egg White
2g Cream of Tartar
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- In a mixer, whisk the egg yolks, and caster sugar till light and fluffy.
- Slowly spoon in the sifted cake flour and baking powder into yolk mixture.
- After flour and baking powder have been mixed well, pour in the corn oil, orange juice and orange zest.
- Pour mixture out into a bowl.
- Wash the mixing bowl thoroughly making sure it’s clean of oil and wipe dry.
- Whisk the egg whites on medium speed until egg whites start to froth then add in the cream of tartar.
- Whisk till stiff peak.
- Gently fold in the meringue (whipped up egg whites) in three parts into the egg yolk mixture in a circular motion till everything is well mixed.
- Portion into chiffon molds.
- This recipe is good for one 8inch chiffon mold.
- Bake for about 35 minutes till. Do not open oven doors anytime before at least 30 minutes.
- When the chiffon is out of the oven, over turn chiffon in mold and leave to cool.
- Unmold with a pairing knife by sliding between the mold and the cake.